May 29, 2012

{Pre Summer Treat - Watermelon Sorbet Recipe}



Although the summer solstice is not yet upon us,  all Arizonians know far too well that summer begins a little early around these parts. And even though we may be less then thrilled about the rise in temperature... all that really means to me is, it's time for delicious cold treats! I consider my ice cream maker to be one of my best friends, and it earns a permanent place on my counter top for the summer months. I seriously want to hug the person who invented ice cream and all other yummy counterparts!!!


This recipe is so so simple and it is to DIE for! I was in pure bliss with every spoonful I ate, trust me...unless you are a crazy person who does not like watermelon, you will love this recipe.

Watermelon Sorbet  (adapted from A Sweet Chef)
Ingredients:
1¼ cup sugar
1¼ water
6-7 cups fresh seedless watermelon chunks (about half of the melon)
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
(note: I only had lemons on hand and was in no mood to run to the market for limes, lemons work just as well :)

Directions:
 In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved (do not stir). Place in a bowl to completely cool.
Put the watermelon chunks and the lime into a blender or food processor. Pulse about 20 times to chop the melon and then process until the watermelon is completely pureed. Press the watermelon through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds and any extra pulp. Combine with the cooled sugar syrup. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Pour the watermelon mixture into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker. Mix until the sorbet has thickened, approximately 25-35 minutes.  The sorbet will have soft serve texture. You can enjoy right away or put the sorbet into an airtight container and place in the freezer until firm for about 2 hours.

Now go put it on your culinary calendar to do list!

I made mine this past Sunday night so I could spoil my friends at our Memorial Day get together

 Complete success!

As much as I love a long weekend, I'm so grateful for what the day really represents, for the men and women who have and will someday serve our country...THANK YOU! Also, for my two little brothers..who are not so little anymore, so proud of them and to be a Marine Sister.
Hoping you all had a wonderful, safe, and (of course) scrumptious :) Memorial Day weekend.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. It's definitely already summer in AZ. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete