January 13, 2015

Lemon Curd

After three years of living in our house we FINALLY had lemons on our tree this year!  I waited so patiently for them to turn yellow, dreaming of all the wonderful things I wanted to create. So far I have used the lemons to bake two pound cakes, add fresh lemon juice to my daily water intake (my favorite), and thanks to Pinterest... a lemon/sugar facial scrub that works like a dream :) Oh my how I love lemons!

High on my list was a batch of fresh lemon curd. I think curd is a great place to start because there is so much one can do with it! I have big plans for this lemon curd, but that is another recipe for another day, hopefully within the week!

With that said lets get to the recipe! It's so easy with minimal ingredients.




Ingredients:

3 Large Eggs 
3/4 cup granulated sugar 
1/3 cup Fresh lemon juice 
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon lemon zest


Directions:

Use a glass or stainless steel bowl place over a saucepan of simmering water (A double boiler). In that bowl  whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until combined. Cook the mixture making sure to stir or whisk continually as to prevent the eggs from curdling. Stir until mixture becomes thick ( this will take about 10 minutes) Remove from heat and add the cut up butter and lemon zest. Stir until combined. Let the curd cool a bit, then cover with plastic wrap directly on the lemon curd (this helps prevent a skin from forming) Then refrigerate! The curd will continue to thicken as it cools.

That's it folks, easy peasy! Stay tuned for another recipe this week showing what I did with my lemon curd.




No comments:

Post a Comment